ROSE CUPCAKES {TAKE TWO}

Happy Valentine’s, lovely friends. I realize it’s a celebratory type of day. Let’s do this. Rose cupcakes. Kinda fancy, huh? It’s easy to make, so don’t be intimidated. And if you were here last year, then you know I mentioned there would be a short clip on how to pipe these buttercream roses. Well it’s finally complete  . . . what’s a year between friends?
Rose Cupcakes via Bakers Royale
Although in my defense, truly and honestly I did make a video last year.  But I couldn’t bring myself to post it because I hate the sound of my voice. This time around I used Vine—no voice. Trust me, I spared you. To view it you’ll have to go  to my Twitter feed, if you are not on Vine. If you are on Vine , my handle is @bakersroyale.
Now who was here yesterday? Holy mama, I was a downer slap me next time. My friend, Greg, certainly did. He seldom comments, but he did yesterday out of annoyance.
Guess what I edited your comment, Greg. But to his point, it was “shut-up”. Sometimes just a quick slap of common sense does the trick because pity parties suck.
So see, today is already a better day. Thanks for all the kind emails of concern and the kinds words in the comments. You guys are awesome. I wish I could make each of you one of these rose cupcakes.

ROSE CUPCAKES

YIELD: 12 cupcakes

Ingredients:

CUPCAKE:

  • 1 cup (4.5 ounces) all purpose flour
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (7.3 ounces) sugar
  • 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons (1.5 ounces) SCHARFFEN BERGER Unsweetened Natural Cocoa Powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and warm
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup hot coffee

VANILLA SWISS MERINGUE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:

  • 5 large egg whites
  • 11/2 cup sugar
  • 4 sticks unsalted butter, diced and softened
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla

Directions:

Preparation: Position a rack in the lower third of the oven. Heat the oven to 350 degrees.

TO MAKE CUPCAKE:

  1. Add flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a blow and mix thoroughly to combine. Add the butter, eggs, and vanilla and beat on medium speed for one minute. Add the butter and egg mixture and beat for 20 seconds. Scrape the sides of the bowl and add the hot coffee. Beat for 20-30 seconds until the batter is smooth. The batter will be thin enough to pour.
  2. Divide it evenly among the lined cups. Bake 18-22 minutes just until a toothpick inserted into a few of the cupcakes comes out clean. Set the pan on a rack to cool. Frost the cupcakes when they are completely cool. Store and serve at room temperature.
TIP: For light tender cupcakes, spoon flour and cocoa lightly into measuring cups (instead of dipping the cups into the flour or cocoa) and then sweep the measures level without tapping or shaking them.

TO MAKE VANILLA SWISS  MERINGUE  FROSTING:

  1. Combine egg whites and sugar in a bowl placed over simmering water. Bring mixture to 160 degrees F while whisking constantly.
  2. Transfer mixture to stand mixer bowl fitted with a whisk attachment and beat on medium speed until mixture becomes foamy, then increase speed to high and beat until it cools and doubles in volume.
  3. Add butter in one piece at a time, mixing to incorporate after each addition. The mixture may appear clumpy and almost curdled looking-this is normal. Keep mixing and it will become even and smooth again. Add salt and vanilla and mix to combine.
  4. Portion out a 1/3 of the frosting tint for the roses.



http://www.bakersroyale.com/rose-cupcakes-take-two/


EmoticonEmoticon